One of my favourite meals is burrito bowls. There are endless options to customize for preference and/or dietary restrictions. Vegetarian? Omit the chicken. Despise tomatoes? Leave them out! Obsessed with cheese? Add to your heart’s content!
A take on the classic burrito bowl, Baked Burrito Bowls = a one-dish wonder. Not only does it make a wonderful weeknight dinner recipe, it is a simple and delicious meal to make for others. This meal is a crowd-pleaser while offering a lot of protein, fibre and veggies! As a dinner loving gal, I love this well-balanced meal and always feel good about making it for others.
This Baked Burrito Bowls recipe is simple and straightforward to make! Once you have finished your preparations, you essentially throw it in a dish and forget about it while all the flavours get to know each other!
This recipe includes chicken (it is easy to swap-out if you wish!). I like to use leftover chicken or a whole roasted chicken from the grocery store to save time.
This dish is created to have a low spice level (in order to make it more kid-friendly!). Feel free to add a dash of cayenne pepper if you want to kick it up a notch!
Baked Burrito Bowls
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 1 (14oz) can black beans strained and rinsed
- 6 cups shredded chicken pre-cooked
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup cheese grated
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice pre-cooked
Toppings for Serving
- Green Onion
- Sour Cream
- Lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large pan melt butter and sautée onion and bell pepper until soft. Add garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add corn, black beans, tomato paste, chicken broth and spices. Cook at medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Spoon rice into a 9×13 baking dish (or casserole dish). Mix in shredded chicken. Add the pepper, black bean and corn mixture. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
There you have it! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do in our household. Looking for another delicious dish? Try this loveable Naan-Bread Pizza!
What are your favourite burrito bowl toppings? Tell me in the comments below!